Saturday, January 3, 2009

Good-bye 2008!

I've never been one to make new year's resolutions. I believe if there are changes needed in your life, resolve to make those changes TODAY whether or not today happens to be January 1st, December 31st or anywhere in between. On Monday, 12/29/2008, I decided to make a much needed change in my running habits or should I say rather I decided to make some running habits. I had no substantial miles since the half marthon on 12/6 and I'm staring down a short 11 weeks until the Little Rock marathon in March! I tried to play catch-up with my training schedule but you can't go from 0 miles in 2 weeks to a 14 miler on Saturday. I decided to consult a very trusted source to see what I should do. Susan helped me to see that because my goal was too lofty, I was becoming frustrated and bitter and that was keeping me from being able to "get back into the groove." This was something I already knew, but sometimes it takes the opinion of someone you admire, trust and respect to really make it clear. So, I regrouped and found a new training schedule -- one that met me where I am right now rather than one I had to hurry and catch-up to. Monday, 12/29 was my 1st day on this plan and it was ugly. I was not discouraged. Tue, 12/30 was a little better but still not very pretty. I was not discouraged. So far so good.

Thursday, 1/1/09, the 1st day of the new year and my 3rd annual new year's day run tradition and everything just clicked. It's amazing how one really good run can erase all the bad feelings that have accumulated for so long. It's exactly what I needed to feel like it was all coming back to me. Fast forward to today, my 10 miler. It felt great! After 3 miles, I was really into it and feeling strong. At the 5 mile mark, my son joined me. And although he could only make it 2 more miles with me and I logged only 7, I really feel I'm headed in the right direction for the 1st time in a very long time. Besides, the day's not over and what's 3 more miles, right?

Like I said, I don't make new year's resolutions. But as we say good-bye to 2008, it's good to look back (as long as you don't look back too long) but it's even better to look ahead and resolve that this is gonna be a better year, I'm gonna be a better me and it's never to late to start over.

Gotta run...
Lisa =)

1 comment:

Susan said...

You are something else! And I am so, so glad to know you. I can't wait to progress with you in 2009!

I think you are sooooo on the right track with your new schedule. I just wish I could have been there to join you this morning.

Bring it, 2009!