Saturday, March 21, 2009

Big Blue Cow & the Daffodil "Ditch"

I had signed up to do the Daffodil Dash 5k today. I knew it was probably not a good idea considering it hasn't even been a week since Little Rock. Besides, what's 3 miles to a "marathoner" Ian had wanted to run this race with me so I didn't think twice about it. Then Thursday nite, his best friend's mom called to invite him to spend the nite Friday and spend the day Sat. What was an 11 year old boy to do? Well, it was a no brainer -- he planned to ditch me. His dad, however, would not allow it. So off I go to the race with my son in tow. By "in tow" I mean dragging him kickin' & screamin'. Ok, so maybe I'm being a "little" dramatic. When we get there it starts pouring down rain and the temps are in the low to mid 40's. Oh & did I mention he's in short sleeves? Yeah, there goes my nom for mom of the year! Normally, a cold rain with a throbbing knee less than a week after a marathon would not scare me away. But here I have this boy that I'm hoping will someday develop a love for running and I'm not certain that coming down with pneumonia will get me any closer to that hope. So, we picked up our shirts, crept shamefully back to the car and tried to drive away without being noticed. Oh the disgrace! But the boy, he felt no shame. He was happy to be leaving until he realized that if only his dad hadn't made him come to the race, he wouldn't have been here in the 1st place. Then he got an attitude. I know, an 11 yr old boy with an attitude, what a stretch. He was ticked that we didn't run the race and he was equally ticked that he didn't get to spend the nite with his friend. So I did what any mother would do in this situation & I took care of that attitude...I took him to Target and bought him something! Ugh...guilt is so powerful especially when wielded so artfully by a manipulative pre-teen with big brown eyes... So there you have it -- the race report for the race that never was.

Now, as promised, I leave you with some pics that my sister took in Little Rock last weekend. Enjoy!

Approaching the Finish Line!



Still Approaching the Finish Line!



Finished!!!!


Gotta run...

Lisa

1 comment:

Susan said...

Where on earth is the cow???

Guilt from a boy -- I am in trouble!