Thursday, March 19, 2009

Long Awaited Race Report - No Photos Yet

While I am waiting for my photos (used a disposable camera instead of my digital), I decided to post a pic of the biggest finisher medal I have ever seen. You could serve a meal on this thing!

I decided I better go ahead & post my race report before the details start to fade rather than wait on my photos. 1st glance of the race photos, however, lead me to believe I may not be sharing photos at all but that's a post for another day. Can you say "big blue cow?"

The weeks & months leading up to this race have been difficult for me. Going into this race 20 lbs heavier than last year and problems with my knee made me think this would definitely be my last marathon. I just didn't feel like I was in the proper shape & this run would be my undoing. I am happy to report, however, that I WAS WRONG!!!!! Although I crossed the finish line with cramps in both calves and my left knee throbbing, I felt strong and confident that this was not my swan song.

Last year, my struggles started between 8 & 10. This year, my struggles started at 19!!! Can you believe that? At mile 15, I was ahead of my pace by 5 minutes. My plan was to cross the finish line in 6:30 -- that's an average pace of 15 minute miles. Totally doable, even for someone as out of shape as me. My strategy was to walk "Mt Everest", take is slow on the downhill and then make up the time on the out/back (it is very flat) At the 20 mile mark, I was dead on my pace. Now, I was thrilled to be on my pace but totally disappointed that at that point I had not made up any time as I had planned to do. It was here that the cramping in both calves started and refused to let up. Mind you, this is the farthest I have ever gone before without cramping but it was still frustrating. At 21 there were bananas and I was sure with some stretches & potassium, I would be good to go...NOT! At 22 I realized I was not going to make my goal but I was not upset. I was still doing better than last year and felt very happy for that.

Then came mile 25. I thought that I had hit the wall before but boy was I mistaken. At 25, I literally could not put one foot in front of the other. I wanted to lay down on the road -- I was absolutely spent. I have never felt anything like that before and I hope I never do again. I'm ashamed to admit that at mile 25, I actually considered quitting. I came to a dead stop & said to myself, "this is NOT worth it!" About that time, I hear a voice behind me say "nobody quits @ 25. 1 more hill and you're there." I turned to see where the voice came from & saw a man in a wheelchair. Not the hand-cranked, aero-dynamic kind you see at races mind you. This guy was in a regular wheelchair. He was feverishly cranking the wheels on this massive hill telling ME not to quit. I can't tell you what that did to me. I had no choice but to get moving and that's just what I did.

That was the longest mile I have ever endured in my entire life. I thought it would never end. When I reached mile 26, I still couldn't run. I resigned myself to the possibility that I would be walking across the finish line this time. There should be no shame in that I thought -- at least I'm finishing. But when I looked up and saw my wheelchair friend flying across the line, I started to run. I didn't even think about it -- I just did it. It wasn't fast and it was a little wobbly and it hurt like heck BUT I had a smile on my face.

Although I didn't make my goal, I did shave 6 minutes off last year's finish time. Although it didn't work this time, I still think my strategy was good. I'm thinking if I did this well for not being in the best shape, what will I be able to do if I AM properly trained and in shape. On the ride home, I began mapping it all out for next year. Yes, that's right, NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!

So, once again an unlikely marathoner has another finisher's medal on the wall and there's no obvious signs that I will be giving up this addiction any time soon because it all boils down to this...

Gotta run!!!!!
Lisa

4 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Congrats Lisa! I love the fact that you're thinking about the next race. You'll be amazed at what the body can do.

Lynn said...

Congratulations!!!! That is amazing! So glad you had that encouragement at the end when you needed it most!

Roan said...

Lisa, I am so proud of you! Woo Hoo! I got chills reading your story. Way to go!

Susan said...

You are such a gem! I wish someone would have been documenting your marathon on video camera.

Next year - whoo hoo!