Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Face of a Frustrated Runner vs. the Face of a Frustrated Wife...Is There a Difference?

The plan, a 4 miler @ 7am. At 6:15am, I received a text from Norma -- raining really hard at her house. A look outside to check the weather in Olive Branch showed conditions looked iffy. So, I decided to check the forecast only to find that my cable was out which for me, means no TV, no internet and no phone. We decided to bail. I told myself that I would run later but really felt that was most likely a lie. The good news is that I DID get out for a run about 6pm. The bad news is it wasn't a very good one. I shouldn't have expected great things. I haven't been very consistant lately. And I've come to rely very heavily on Susan's company. I have such a good time that the time and the miles just seem to fly by. But the biggest problem today occurred at mile 2 -- numbness in the left big toe. I so thought I was over this problem. Well, I ignored it and by the time I decided to call it quits, the numbness had radiated my entire foot and up to my knee. What the heck is that?!?!?!?!?!?! This is the face of a frustrated runner...



(Please forgive the lighting. The camera phone is a great thing but...)

I make my way back to my car and I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. I'm supposed to call Mark to let him know when I'm done. Usually, he's very good at helping me see the good in everything and running is no exception. I'm expecting that I'll whine a little and he'll tell me to cut myself some slack, etc, etc, etc. When I call, though, it goes straight to voice mail. I wait a few minutes and try again. Same thing, straight to voice mail. This can only mean that his battery has died. Should this cause me frustration? Well, no not really. Cell phone batteries die, I do understand this. But, what I don't understand is why can't he go to his truck, plug it in, call & check on me OR why can't he use someone else's phone to call & check on me. It has been over 2 hours since I called to tell him I was headed out for a run. He specifically asked me to call him when I was thru so he would know I made it home all right. It has been over an hour since I finished. He'll have a legitimate excuse (as always) and I am home safe & sound (as always) but this is something I deal with on a daily basis. Well, usually I get, "my phone was on silent & I didn't know you called." This is one of the many reasons I get frustrated and here's what IT looks like...



So, while frustration comes in many different forms for many different reasons, it looks the same. Or it does for me anyway...
And the frustration continues even at this late hour. All I want to know is "DID MEMPHIS WIN?????" We are not in Knoxville, yet I know that Tennessee lost (I HATE that!!) Arkansas lost also (I also HATE that!!!) But this is Memphis for goodness sake -- what about the Tigers!!!! There are still some of us fans left....PLEASE!!!!!
With all this being said, it's time to take my frustrations and put them to bed. Tomorrow is a new day...
Gotta run...
~Lisa



No comments: