Friday, October 23, 2009

True Blue 5k


You gotta love a 5k that winds thru the campus of your alma mater and "spits" you out thru the giant tiger's mouth after you cross the finish line!

Sorry for the blur -- the BB doesn't take the best photos. :(


This was a really weird race for me. For some reason, I felt really out of place. Perhaps it was because my last 5k was so disastrous. Perhaps it's because I haven't felt much like a runner lately. Whatever the reason, I felt odd but I was determined to "stick it out" and see if I could redeem myself with a better finishing time than the last 5k I did about a month ago. Besides, the more people watching I did, the more comfortable I became. I noticed all these "runners" who looked fit, dressed the part, doing these amazing stretches. They looked like real pros I tell ya with one exception, they had their bib numbers pinned on their backs instead of the front. I thought maybe that's what you do now -- after all, I haven't been participating in many races lately. Anyway, when it came time to line up at the start line, I made my way to the back of the pack. That is where I feel like I belong. I heard a guy mumble under his breath, "it goes on the front, doofus" and I was relieved. I hadn't missed the memo about the new rules about proper bib placement. As the race began, I enjoyed picking off "those" runners who started out way too fast and pooped out at mile 2. I wasn't fast mind you, but there's a lot to be said for slow and steady. While I didn't PR tonite (thankfully, I wasn't expecting to) it was a great run for me. I ran/walked in 40 minutes and some change. So while I may not be completely back in the game, I'm definitely moving in the right direction. YES!!!!!!


Gotta run...

Lisa :)


2 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Luckily there isn't a new fad of pinning numbers on the back. Sounds like you're on your way back to racing.

Susan said...

You have had quite a transformation lately. YAY! Go Lisa go!